Search This Blog

Friday, January 21, 2011

...and PAY THEY WILL.


So during one of my first visits to San Francisco I saw something really crazy. High up in a third story apartment, someone was projecting a prizefight through a covered window into the night. It was so cool--I could see it from the street. The setup was super homemade, and really startling.

Anyway, I decided to try it myself, only a lot bigger. The dorm I live in has an upstairs lounge with patio and glass sliding doors. The patio overlooks the bike racks where everyone parks. So I thought it would be neat to project sound and image out of the huge window so people would see it as they passed by. This was partially out of artistic impulse, and partially because I'd been wanting to see a classic Kung Fu movie for a long time :)

So, I covered the window with newspaper, checked out a projector, and set up my speakers on the balcony. Very simple setup, but again, super startling at night. I played a Godzilla trailer (Godzilla vs. Megalodon), and the watched Bruce Lee in Fists of Fury. My friends, it was better than a birthday.

Here's some footage!



And Bruce Lee, tragically abridged:



Isn't he impossibly fast and beautiful? Isn't he just impossible period?


Ah, my heart!
T. King

1 comment:

  1. Very cool! I saw a similar thing while walking around San Francisco on New Year's Eve, only instead of projecting against a covered window, the person was projecting *across the street* onto another building's wall! Check out the picture I took with my phone: http://instagr.am/p/zorL/

    Hope you're doing well! I like the videos you post from time to time, keep up the awesome work!

    ReplyDelete